No claims of absolute originality are made for this material. As one man said, "I milk a lot of cows, but I churn my own butter." Please use these sermons as the Lord leads, but nothing on this site may be used for profit without my expressed, written permission!
Luke 2:21-36 THE LORDS FAMILY GOES TO CHURCH
Intro: Ill. There is something special about going to the House of God as a family! Not everyone has that privilege, and not every family that could does. Jesus, however, was raised in a godly home. It seems that His family took advantage of all the opportunities they had to worship, Ill. Luke 2:41. On their first trip to the Temple, when Jesus was just 8 days old, something pretty amazing happened and that is what we want to look into tonight, as we think together on this thought, The Lords Family Goes To Church.
I. v. 21-23 THEIR PIETY
A. v. 21a They Obeyed The Leadership Of The Angel They did so by naming the child "Jesus" as they were commanded Luke 1:31. (Ill. "Jesus"= "Jehovah Is Salvation")
B. v. 21b-23 They Obeyed The Letter Of The Law Ex. 13:2, 12. Mary and Joseph went to the Temple to present their firstborn son to the Lord as they were commended in the Word of God.
C. Our homes ought to be centers of piety and obedience to the Lords commands. Every Christian home ought to be an example to this lost world (Ill. Sunday School teacher who owned a chain of liquor stores and lived with his girl friend.)
II. v. 24 THEIR POVERTY
(They offered the sacrifice of the poor Lev. 12:1-8. Undoubtedly, this event took place before the arrival of the wise men with their gifts to the family Matt. 2:1-12.) 3 Lessons are in view here!
A. Absence of money is no hindrance to spiritual service. They had nothing, but they were still faithful.
B. The ability of God to meet our physical needs is not hindered by our lack. You do not have to possess a bunch for the Lord to bless you. You just have to be willing to use what you do have Matt. 6:33.
C. Availability is far more important that ability (Ill. Mary Luke 1:38) God will use anything or anyone He can to accomplish His will.
D. Never allow you lack to keep you out of church!
III. v. 25-26 THE PROPHECY
A. v. 25-30 The Messenger
1. His Expectation v. 25-26 Simeon was a godly man who was waiting on the Messiah. He had been told by the Spirit that he would not die until hehad seen the Promised One. (Ill. We have a greater expectation tonight John 14:1-3; 1 Thes. 4:16-18)
2. His Example v. 25, 27a "Just and devout" Simeon walked with God and was an example to others. When he spoke, people listened. If we want thisworld to hear us when we speak the things of God, then our lives must match our talk!
3. His Excitement v. 27-30 When Simeon held Jesus, he could not contain his excitement. There is something exciting about meeting the Lord first hand. Ill. Ill never understand deadness, dryness and people who never get excited about Jesus.
B. v. 31-36 The Message (Simeons prophecy was a 3-fold message.)
1. A Message Of Hope v. 21-32
a. Life John 14:6; John 11:25-26; John 5:24
b. Light John 1:4-13; John 8:12
c. Lifting 2 Cor. 5:17 (Jesus came to deliver us from death and dead works!)
2. A Message Of Humility v. 33-34
a. The Cross 1 Cor. 1:18. That very cross that the world despises tonight, is the place where men must meet Jesus. He humbled Himself to go there, Phil. 2:5-8; and no man must humble himself before the Gospel of the cross. To refuse the cross is to refuse Jesus and his message of everlasting life! (Ill. Many will go to Hell because they will refuse to humble themselves before Him.)
b. The Crown Ill. Many would fall before Him in Israel. When Jesus humbled Himself, He was exalted by the Father, Phil. 2:9-11. Now, mans hope resides in humbling himself before the risen and glorified Christ! (Ill. Better to bow now while doing so makes a difference, than to wait and be forced to bow when it will mean nothing to you personally.)
3. A Message Of Hurt v. 35a Mary was confronted with the price she was going to have to pay in the plan of God. Hers was a great sacrifice, she was called upon to give her Lamb, and she did without wavering John 19:25. Ill. The agony of her heart!
C. Church ought to have the right atmosphere and the right kind of message. Anything else dishonors God, and starves the saints!
Conc: When we go to church, our services are not usually that eventful. Yet, when we gather, the same Jesus of the Scriptures meets with his people, Matt. 18:20, and blesses us with His presence. We need to understand that church attendance and the things we do in the House of God are not just ritual and routine. They are life changing, life-strengthening, and good for our families. Jesus had the right kind of family life, lets do the same for our families and ourselves. Be prepared when you come to church, you never know what God has in store for you.