No claims of absolute originality are made for this material. As one man said, "I milk a lot of cows, but I churn my own butter." Please use these sermons as the Lord leads, but nothing on this site may be used for profit without my expressed, written permission!
Matt. 1:18-25 THERE IS A NAME I LOVE TO HEAR
* Names in our day do not mean much. Parents pick out names for their children for many reasons. Some are different; others are weird; some are chosen to honor someone they think of as their hero; or sometimes they will name a child after a family member. But, most of the time, there is no special significance behind the choice of a name.
* For instance, the name “Alan means Handsome. What were my parents thinking?
* Lets consider our Deacons names tonight. Gene Well born; Bobby Bright Fame; Don Ruler of the World; Harry Home Ruler; Ray Counselor and Protector Those are all noble names, but they were probably not chosen for their meanings, but for the way they sound, our to honor a family member, or just because somebody liked them.
* In Bible times, things were different. Names were given for a reason. Names meant something and people often lived up to their name. Jacob Trickster; David Beloved; Abraham Father of a Multitude; Moses Drawn Out
* Today I want to consider the name mentioned in verse 21. The angel commanded Joseph to name the baby Mary would bear Jesus. Why? That name would describe in detail the entirety of all that Jesus was coming to do.
* I would like to take that name Jesus and say “There Is A Name I Love To Hear.
I. THAT NAME DECLARES HIS IDENTITY
* The name Jesus means “Jehovah is Salvation. It was a very common name in that society. (Ill. Jacob and Emily have been the most popular baby names in America since 1999, according to the Social Security Administration web site)
* Jesus may have had a common name, but He was no ordinary baby. His birth was normal, but His conception was anything but normal, Luke 1:26-38. Jesus was a real human baby, but He was also God in the flesh, John 1:1; 14.
* When Jesus was born in
* When we speak of the Jesus of the Bible, we are referring to God in the flesh!
II. THAT NAME DECLARES HIS INTENTIONS
* His name means “Jehovah is Salvation. The word “salvation tells us what Jesus came into this world to accomplish. He came to “save His people from their sins, v. 21.
* The word “save means keep
safe and sound, to rescue from danger or destruction. How would Jesus
accomplish this? He tells us in His own
words, Mark 10:45. Jesus came to this world for one purpose only
and that purpose was to die on the cross for sinners, Phil. 2:8b; John 18:37. (
* In spite of all He did while He was here, his primary purpose in coming into this world was so that He could die for His people.
III. THAT NAME DECLARES HIS IMPOVERISHMENT
* The name “Jesus is our Lords
human name. He is given many names in
* Imagine this; the Lord of glory came into this world. He came not as a King, but as a humble servant. He was not born in a palace, but a manger. Jesus understood poverty, Matt. 8:20; weariness, John 4:6; Matt. 8:24; hunger, Matt. 4:2; rejection, John 1:11, John 19:10; loneliness, John 6:15; Matt 26:29; temptation, Matt. 4:1-11; and the rest of the trials of the human condition.
* He endured all that He did so that He might identify Himself with us, understand us, and be able to comfort us in our trials, Heb. 4:15-16.
IV. THAT NAME DECLARES HIS INDIVIDUALITY
* As I said, there were many
children in that time named Jesus. But,
there was only one Who could be called “Emmanuel! (
* Thousands of babies were into the world that same year, but only one of them would grow up to be the Savior of the world!
* After all these years, Jesus still stands alone. He is the only One Who can save a lost soul, John 14:6; Acts 4:12.
* Jesus is the only One Who can save the sin-sick soul!
Conc: There is a name I love to hear! In Jesus, I see and hear His Incarnation, Humiliation, Crucifixion, Resurrection, Glorification and Salvation. The song says, “There’s just something about that Name! Do you know Him? Do you want to know Him better? Need to thank Him?