GOD'S AMAZING GRACE
Intro: Grace is defined as the "underserved
love and favor of God toward fallen man." When you take
a moment and consider all that that means, it is an awesome thought!
It means that any sinner can be saved! Any storm can be weathered. Any
situation can be faced. When we sing Amazing Grace, we are telling the
truth. This passage is one of the clearest in the Bible on grace and
its results. Notice three facts about God's amazing grace.
I. v.11 GRACE SAVES US
A. Grace brings salvation - Eph. 2:8-9; Rom. 4:4-5 (Ill.
Too great a sinner - Rom. 5:20)
B. Salvation Means that the Christian has been:
1. Cleansed from sin by the blood of Jesus - Rev. 1:5 (Ill.
His blood) (Ill. v. 14 - Redeemed; Purified; Gave
- it was 100% God)
2. Delivered eternally from the penalty of sin - Rom. 6:23;
John 10:27-30 (Ill. Judgment, Hell and the awfulness of
3. Assured of Heaven when we die - John 14:1-3; 2Cor. 5:1-8;
C. Do you know Jesus? Ill. The necessity of the New Birth -John
3:3,7 (Acts 16:31; John 3:16; John 6:47
- all teach the simplicity of it) (Ill. Rom. 10:9-10
- Confess and believe - You can be saved)
II. v.12 GRACE SCHOOLS US (Teaches Christian Living)
A. Teaches the negative side of Christian living: What to avoid!
1. Ungodliness - Anything that does not glorify God - 1Cor.10:31.
2. Worldly Lusts - James 4:4; 1John 2:15
B. Teaches the positive side of Christian living: What to do!
1. Soberly - Our Self - Col. 3:5-10 (Ill. The
big change 2Cor. 5:17) (Il. Your Character - What
you are when you are alone!)
2. Righteously - Our Fellowman - Rom. 12:17-21
(Ill. Our method- Mt. 22:39; Our Motive - Mt.
5:16) Ill. Your Reputation - What people think you are!;
Not always true)
3. Godly - Our God - Col 3:15-17 (All we do should
be to please Him - Ill. 2Cor. 10:5) (What you really
are - Heb. 4:13)
C. Grace will teach you how to live. I'm glad that God is patient
with His little children! That's just His grace!
III. v.13-14 GRACE SEPERATES US (Provides the Christian
with Hope) Our hope as believers sererates us from the rest of the world!
A. Causes us to look for Christ - Jesus is coming! John 14:1-3;
1Thes 4:13-18; 1 John 3:1-3; Rev. 22:20. (Be ready - Mt.
B. Causes us to be a peculiar people - (A people for His own possession)
1 Cor. 6:19-20 (This relationship promises us special
blessings - Heb. 13:5; Phil. 4:19, etc.) (Hope now!)
C. Causes us to be zealous of good works - Eph. 2:8-10; James