No claims of absolute originality are made for this material. As one man said, "I milk a lot of cows, but I churn my own butter." Please use these sermons as the Lord leads, but nothing on this site may be used for profit without my expressed, written permission!
A SERMON ON SIX LEGS
this passage, which concerns the little ant, God is speaking to the sluggard
– This refers to one who is lazy, idle, careless, sticks to nothing,
minds no business and brings nothing to pass.
Tonight, I would like for us to look into this passage for a few minutes. I believe there is much that we can learn from the little ant. What we learn from these tiny creatures can help us become better Christians and it can help our church be more effective in the cause of Christ! Besides that, the Lord said to do it!
way of introduction let me say that the ant is the most successful of all
social insects, (
With these few thoughts in mind, let’s notice some facts about the little ant. Those little fellows have a lot to teach us humans about doing the Lord’s business. I want to preach for a while this evening on this thought: A Sermon On Six Legs.
I. THE WORK OF THE LITTLE ANT
A. The Ant’s Work Is A Partnership
1. They Work In Love - No fights, Ill. Step on. Brethren should love - Heb. 13:1; 1 John 4:7; John 13:35.
2. They Are Helpful - Help carry burdens; injured neighbors; rescue those buried or those who fall into a pit. (Gal. 6:2; Rom.15:1)
Operate In Harmony - 1 weak,
4. They Work Toward A Common Goal - Provide for the colony and especially the queen. 1 Cor. 10:31; 1 Thes. 4:1; Heb. 13:16
B. The Ant’s Work Is Productive
1. Ant’s Have An All Volunteer Service - No guide, yet each ant works.
Thousands of ants may dwell in one ant colony, but every one of them pulls his
own weight! They work! (
2. Ant’s Labor According To Their Own Ability - (Storekeepers, engineers, nurses, farmers, laborers)
Ill. Jobs by size. a. Large - soldiers, b. Medium - Laborers, c. Small - Tend the young.
Each job in the church is important! You are important to
God's work and to the work of this church. He will use you according to your ability, as you grow, your responsibility will grow, 2 Pet. 3:18. God has especially gifted and equipped you for some type of work in the body of Christ, 1 Cor. 12:12-27)
(Note: The majority of the workers in an anthill are female! The same is true in the church! Take away our women and we would be in deep trouble! We need some men to step up to the plate and take swing for Jesus!)
(Ill. Ecc. 9:10, “Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.”)
3. Ant’s Work Continually - All Day! No pay, promotion, thanks, pats on back, reward yet they work! Ants never get mad and quit and they never go on strike! They just work! Believers ought to work in spite of… Gal. 6:9. (Ill. Of you destroy an anthill with your foot; they immediately set about rebuilding it!)
4. Application – One of the lessons we can take from this is the fact that there is plenty to do, but no workers.
and ease are the cause, some people just don’t care that there is a great work
to be done! (
· Many who do not work, criticize those who do.
· Many are shirkers and not workers. Heb.6:12
C. The Ant’s Work Is Persistent – The ant’s motto might be – Phil 3:13
1. Impossible to stop when food is found – (Ill. You don’t believe
me? Just spill a little sugar on the
countertop and leave it there. When on
finds it, he will return to the colony and bring hundreds with him! (
(Note: What a lesson! We who have tasted and found that the Lord is good need to go back into the colony of the world and tell the others about Him. After all, believers are merely one beggar telling other beggars where to find bread!)
2. Keep going in times of danger - (
3. We are moving under the power of the Spirit, Rom. 8:31. The ant is motivated by hunger! Ill. Caleb and Joshua - Num. 14:9 - Nothing should ever be able stop us if we are in God's will. (No critic, no trial, no obstacle - March Christian March!)
We must beware lest we too become accustomed to a life of leisure. After all, this is no game we are in, this is warfare!)
D. The Ant’s Work Has Purpose - Ill. Purpose put in by God – Some raise dairy cows, (Numerous species of ants collect a sweet substance called honeydew that is excreted by various tiny insects, including aphids, mealy bugs, and scale insects. The insects most commonly used for this purpose are aphids, which pierce plant tissues to suck up juices from a plant. Among some of these ants, workers leave their nests regularly to watch over groups of aphids and protect them from predators. In some instances, these ants construct shelters out of soil or carton to shield the aphids from the environment. Worker ants stroke the aphids with their antennae to induce them to release drops of honeydew. The ants then transfer this honeydew through trophallaxis to another group of workers, who carry it back to the nest and share it with nest workers. Individual workers may spend days or weeks among the same group of aphids.), some clear ground so certain kinds of grasses can grow (farm); some gather grain and bite the end of the kernels to prevent it from germinating! Nothing can change the ant’s priorities.
(Note: Believers need this same resolve - 1 Cor. 15:58. In everything we do, we need to walk with resolve! We need to purpose in our hearts that nothing short of death or the rapture will turn us away from working for Him! (Ill. We need resolve in: 1. Our praying 2. Our giving (Ill. The Ants have a storehouse, we do too!) 3. Our separation (Ants practice personal and community cleanliness!) 4. Our witnessing (This sets us apart, but it is essential!), etc.)
II. THE WISDOM OF THE LITTLE ANT
A. They Make Provisions For This Life - (Ill. Organized, with food and shelter. Many anthills are organized like a modern city. There are streets, supply rooms, hatcheries, and barracks.) People should be wise also and prepare for today.
B. They Make Preparations For The Future
1. Ill. Store all they can while they can. (Ill Grasshoppers – They make no preparations and when winter comes, they all die!) Ants, on the other hand, believe in winter and by instinct they prepare for it.
2. People prepare for this life - savings, insurance, retirement. What about death? Men believe in life after death, but do nothing about it. People need to be ready and God has made a way! His name is Jesus - John 3:16.
3. Lost person are you ready? Not to be means eternal separation and Hell. Many scoff, delay and neglect: judgment does neither! John 3:18; 36
4. Christian are you ready to stand before God, Rom.14:12? Time is running out friends! Jesus said that we were to work while it was day, John 9:4. If you are going to do anything for Jesus, the time to do it is now! If you are going to pray, preach, witness, shout, visit, make thing right with another brother, anything at all, the time to do it is right now!
I would like to think that we are at least as wise as the ant. Are we? Ask yourself these questions:
1. Have I made any preparations for the future? Am I saved and ready to meet Jesus?
2. Have I gathered all the provisions I need to walk for God today? (i.e. prayer, Bible, fellowship with God and believers, etc.)
3. Am I in fellowship with the rest of the members of this church?
4. Am I doing the job Jesus saved me to do?
5. Am I laboring for Jesus, knowing the darkness is swiftly approaching?